Biblioteca Palafoxiana (Puebla de Zaragoza, Mexico)

Founded in 1646 by the same Archbishop Juan de Palafox y Mendoza as the pontifical seminary of Puebla, when he donated his personal collection of 5000 volumes to the Colegio de San Juan. This was the 1st public library in the Americas and is the only to survive the colonial period. The room housing the collection is in a Baroque style and was built in 1773 by order of Archbishop Francisco Fabián y Fuero who named the room in honor of Palafox. Archbishop Francisco Fabián y Fuero also donated a quantity of important texts to the library.

During its existence, the Biblioteca Palafoxiana has maintained its original concept and structure. The collection contains more than 42, 556 books; 5, 345 manuscripts and 9 incunabula; the collection ranges from 1473 to 1910. More than 57 themes / subject area are covered in the collection. The rich collection and preservation efforts were recognized in 1981 when it was declared a Historic Monument by the Mexican government and in 2005 when UNESCO’s Memory of the World program.

Contact: Biblioteca Palafoxiana (Puebla de Zaragoza, Mexico)